Book donation guidelines:
If you have a large collection of books to donate and live within the greater Kansas City area, we would be happy to arrange pickup.
- PAPERBACKS ONLY
- New or used
- Books should have minimal highlighting, handwritten notes, and no personal identifying info (take out the page or use a black sharpie to cover)
- Covers, binding and pages should be intact
- Topics generally not accepted by corrections facilities:
- Pornography or graphic depictions of sex
- Writing that glorifies violence, gangs, drug use, racism, etc.
- Provocative titles that may appear to incite violence
- Books about fighting, combat techniques, martial arts
Books frequently requested by inmates:
- Art instruction and how-to
- Trade skills (welding, electric, plumbing, carpentry etc.)
- Small business guides
- Legal self-help
- GED prep and education materials
- Puzzle books
- Graphic novels
Buddhist book requests:
FBB partners with the Prison Dharma Project of Temple Buddhist Center in Kansas City, MO, and provides inmates with books about Buddhism whenever possible. Ven. Urgyen Machik teaches Buddhism and meditation in corrections, and is Buddhist visiting clergy for a number of inmates.
- Awakening the Buddha Within by Lama Surya Das
- When Things Fall Apart by Pema Chodron
- In the Buddha's Words by Bikkhu Bodhi
- No Time to Lose by Pema Chodron
- What the Buddha Taught by Walpola Rahula
Check out our Amazon Wishlist!